Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Not Without my Daughter - Book Review


On recommendation by my dear friend, I picked this non-fiction book "Not without my daughter". The story was gripping, fascinating sending chills down my spine throughout. I ravenously completed reading in 2 days. I imagined myself in the situation and wondered if I ever have courage to pass such treacherous circumstances. It's unfathomable how Betty (lead of the story), an American woman in a country like Iran managed to escape to Turkey in ice and cold. Despite awfulness around she did it three decades ago sans understanding the language, money and contacts.

Will we women be able to endure that agony, melancholy yet have strength to oppose highly dominated patriarchal society? To vehemently curtail the violence.  To blatantly protest for our rights and freedom. My fellow sisters out there facing obnoxious situations, do not ask me how much time and pain will it take to fix up? Well, I don't have an answer. Days, months, years or decades. Keep faith and do not succumb to the situation. One line that kept repeating often in the book is "Where there is a will, there is a way" and that kept Betty moving, motivated.

I strongly recommend this book to any girl in need of high dose of motivation.

P.S. I picked up few Farsi words that I shall be using in my future conversations and keep people perplexed.


No comments:

Post a Comment